Our rigorous and relevant Middle School curriculum positions students for success in higher education and today’s technology rich, global economy. Teaching teams work to provide an active and challenging learning environment. They celebrate the strengths of each student and work closely to help each reach his or her maximum potential.
With a focus on faith, values and leadership skills in addition to academic excellence, we truly educate the whole child. Students set goals for academic and personal growth and present their progress to parents at our student-led conferences in the fall and spring.
Cross-curricular projects are a highlight of the middle school grades. Students bring together their math, science, social studies, technology, art, and communication skills as they collaborate on group projects that tie together what they are learning in various classes. They apply 21st century skills to solve problems and present their work.
Watch this in action on Cedar Falls Channel 15's video of our students' March 2015 A World in Motion showcase.
- Small group learning within the classroom meets the needs of all students
- Build on existing reading, writing, language and communication skills with an emphasis on the writing process
- Literature curriculum eases the transition from elementary levels and prepares for high school
- Speech class and abundant public speaking opportunities
- Watch a video of the December 2016 grade 7 and 8 Poetry Slam
- Problem-solving, practical applications and calculations
- Small groups allow students to get extra help or move more rapidly through material
- Algebra 1 offered for qualifying Grade 8 students
- Geometry option at the high school for students who take Algebra 1 in Grade 7
- Science class in the new science lab in the Middle School wing
- Use of hands-on activities, scientific method, research projects and classroom activities to learn about life, physical and earth sciences
- Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education comes to life as industry volunteers work with students to build vehicles and gliders for A World in Motion
- Geography and history of the United States and the world
- Students collaborate on group projects and activities, using technology for videos, research and presentation
- National History Day competition in Grades 7/8
- Junior Achievement program brings community members into the school to enhance what students learn in class
All students continue with Spanish, music, art, physical education, health, and guidance in the middle school grades. Grades 5/6 and 7/8 present spring musicals under the direction of our vocal music teacher.
Band is an option for students beginning in grade five. Lessons are given during the school day. Students practice as a group before school one morning each week. Jazz and Worship Bands provide enrichment for students who desire additional opportunities to participate.
Time outside of the classroom enhances curriculum in the Middle School grades. Experiences vary from year to year and may include the Mississippi River Museum, Living History Farms (grade 5-6 trip shown in top photo above), the Iowa State Capitol Building, the Science Center of Iowa, symphonies and musical productions at the Gallagher Bluedorn, and plays at the Waterloo Center for the Arts and Oster Regent Theater.
Athletics and Activities
Students in grades 5-8 may participate in our sports program. Our early offering of school sports provides for physical activity after school and the development of teamwork and athletic skills. Visit our Athletics and Activities tab to see our offerings.
Our resources, facilities and services contribute to the academic success of our students:
- 1:1 Chromebooks (grades 3-8)
- Interactive white boards encourage active participation in the learning process
- Full-size modern gym, large outdoor playground, and grassy area for physical education and recess
- Well-stocked library on campus and easy access to the public library two blocks away
- Spacious Multipurpose Room in the Middle School wing for collaborative work, guest speakers and assemblies
- Breakfast and hot lunch with fresh fruit and vegetable choices prepared in our own kitchen and served in our separate cafeteria